PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES
The LEA English Centre’s English for Medical Purposes prepares students with wide and specialised knowledge in healthcare terms and strengthens students’ communication competency in the pressured healthcare environment which is the crucial part of providing patients with safe care. All the more reason is to fully equip the students with a solid background in the language needed to work in an English-speaking healthcare environment. Apart from that, this course is also primarily and professionally designed for the students to be able to practise the theory and practical skills in the real situations.
The term ‘exceptional and unique’ is the best to describe medical language. This is because it is a complete version of a language that full of technical terms and words that have been created and invented exclusively for medical practitioners such as doctors and nurses for them to use at their workplace especially for efficient communication. Learning English and a lot more other medical terms that have a lot of new words and most medical students have tough time studying and comprehending them. In this sense, the English that they learn can be correlated much more adequately and strongly to their future working world.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND CONTENT
The English for Medical Purposes at LEA English Centre concentrates on enhancing and building up basically the communication skills for the students to interact in real life social situations. Our English for Medical Purposes also focuses on the language used to talk about healthcare. Which means it is a mix of medical terminology and everyday health terms which are needed to communicate with patients plus the vocabulary needed to understand the medical equipments, procedures and tests. Other than that, the course that focuses on communication in the workplace rather than academic communication will cover more on the aspect of the communication between the healthcare worker and patients, colleagues, other Health Care Professionals.
At LEA English Centre where clients are our priority, we will fully ensure interactive and fun activities are carried out such as role-playing and real life scenarios based activities in conducting the course.
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Not only build but enhance the confidence and fluency in English language while performing duties and tasks
- Master sufficient related vocabulary in providing relevant medical, health care in the medical industry
- Able to construct, master, understand and use proper English grammar structure – both written and spoken
- Enhance communication skills with fellow colleagues, nurses, patients and basically anyone in the hospital environment
- Giving instructions
- Asking about past habits
- Talking about pain level
- Passing on information
- Involve talking messages or phoning other departments to ask for or give information about a patient,
- Make a referral or to make an appointment.
- Incoming calls from patients' friends and relations can be quite difficult as Data Protection laws prevent staff from passing on any information to unauthorised people.
iv. Talking about procedures
- checking drugs or explaining the steps of a procedure
- pain management
- Appropriate writing focus (hospital documents, charts, patient record)
- Medical terminology and everyday health terminology
- Appropriate reading focus (care pathways, drug info, policies and procedures)